I am going to marry two completely conclusions from different teachers, each of which were outlined in seven thoughts/ideas. I think odd couples are interesting.
First, from a writer's blog, the seven universal literary plot lines, which I thought of as seven types of story, seven life directions.
Also, the principles from The Seven Deadly Sins of Small Group Ministry a leadership and ministry tool published by Willow Creek Church.
1/7 Plot Line: Quest
1/7 Sin Of Ministry: Unclear Objectives.
The quest on the table is to communicate and execute ministry that grows, to encourage and equip people to experience and share a confident faith.
What happens when the sin of unclear objectives partners with the quest?
- no agreement on purpose (opinions, not objectives, overwhelm the focus)
- progress (change) is blocked
- relationships break down (ego, emotion)
- expect too much attention from staff (people want applause, affirmation--more ego)
- people don't know role in church strategy (see work too narrowly).
Next odd couple: 2/7 Voyage & Return and Lack of Leadership