Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Adjust and Re-adjust

My pastor shared a powerful sermon September 11, capturing the moment of the anniversary of 9/11 without having that devastating memory overwhelm the worship of God. 

He preached from Luke 10, the Good Samaritan and honed in on the principle of neighbors see need, not differences, and then act.  I thought about that a lot (indication of a strong message)--but I don't think I trip over differences, where I fail to be right neighborly is in the area of indifferences. 

What culturally, psychologically, religiosity, financially, emotionally, verbosity (I love words more than most) separates me from you--that is not what keeps me from responding.  It's the lure of indifference.  It's an apathy not an offense. 

The apathy does not look like the lifestyle of a sloth bear, I am busy and engaged.  I am productive and have a long list of to-do's.  I even have a list of not gonna get dones. 

The question on the table for me is, "how willing am I to be interrupted or inconvenienced?" 

In another sermon on the same passage the minister pointed to a MLK challenge to not ask what will happen to me if I stop and help, but ask what will happen to him if I don't?

See, the stopping is the rub.

I like to help--helping helps me.  Stopping from the auto pilot setting of my life to reset according to those needs of others is uncomfortable and really actually easy to avoid (because I can point to the many, many, many other circumstances that need my attention).

Looking back just over the last week, I note a few--but too few times when I stopped, and pivoted toward a need of another that was not on script. 

I am going to pray and pursue those people, circumstances more-adjust the settings so that I will apply the brakes and turn in another direction to meet a need with mercy and joy. 

My daughter's coach calls it:  adjust and re-adjust.  It does lead to better play.

"But the Samaritan, as he traveled, came to where the man was;  and when he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds...".  Luke 10:33:34. 

1 comment:

  1. I've been failing miserably at this for quite some time now. My "script" is one of constant re-writes and looming deadlines. It's difficult to see others' needs -- or we see them and then are not motivated to DO something.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Roswell, GA
Loves to find the answers to three questions of a sound Bible study: what does it say, what does it mean, what difference does it make?